Information about special circumstances for students studying at the School of Mathematics.
The University is committed to supporting you during your studies. Therefore, if there are circumstances beyond your control that you feel may have an adverse impact on your academic performance, you can apply for a coursework extension and/or for special circumstances.
The current system of applying for Extensions and Special Circumstances is changing, and from this academic year (2020/21), we will no longer accept e-mail or paper-based applications. All applications for extensions, special circumstances and learning adjustments will be processed by a dedicated Extensions and Special Circumstances (ESC) Team.
- Extensions- where there were circumstances that affected your ability of completing your coursework on time, and where late submissions are allowed, the ESC team will consider an extension for coursework submission for up to a maximum of seven calendar days.
- Special Circumstances- where there is evidence to show that there are circumstances that had a significant adverse impact on your performance in an assessment, or resulted in non-attendance or a non-submission for a scheduled assessment, you can submit an application to have these circumstances considered.
Who should I talk to?
We, your Personal Tutor(PT) and the Mathematics Student Support Team , will remain your first point of contact and you should discuss your circumstances with us in the first instance. We will be able to advise you on your individual situation, help you access additional support if necessary and guide you through the process of submitting your application for an extension and/or special circumstances if needed.
How can I apply?
Extensions and Learning Adjustments
From October 2020 applications for extensions will move to an online system, and you will be able to apply via MyEd.
- This will allow you to apply for a single coursework extension, or to select several assignments across different courses, all in one application;
- You will be able to submit several applications throughout the academic year;
- The process of applying for Learning Adjustments remains unchanged- continue to use the online form here to apply.
Applications for special circumstances will open in October 2020. You will be able to submit your application via MyEd. The system will allow you to select a single coursework, or to select several assignments across different courses, all in one application.
What are the deadlines?
You should submit your application as soon as you become aware of circumstances affecting your studies. The deadlines are:
You can apply up to 2 weeks before your assignment deadline
Please note: applications submitted after your assignment deadlines will not be considered
|Special Circumstances||Up to 1 week after your last assignment in any given semester|
When will I hear back?Extensions and Learning Adjustments
The ESC team aim to respond to your application within 2 working days.
The ESC team aim to respond to your initial application within 2 working days, to let you know if you are eligible to apply. The ESC team aim to respond within 5 working days after your application is complete (this includes selecting affected assignments, providing evidence, etc.) to let you know if your application has been accepted. If your application is accepted, it will be considered at the relevant Board of Examiners, and you will be notified of the outcome afterwards via MyEd.
I have a question about my application
If you require further advice, the ESC team will be able to answer any questions relating to your application. You can contact them here. However, please note that you should always contact us, your PT and/or the Mathematics Student Support team, to discuss your individual circumstance and/or assignments.