Student Support Team
How we are managing student queries – Online and on-campus
The Student Support Team have a variety of ways to help with your queries.
- Email. For quick queries that will likely be easily resolved or you are unsure whether you need to have a meeting
- Arrange an online meeting
- Arrange an in-person meeting
- Emergency Meetings
Arranging a meeting
To arrange a meeting, whether online or in-person, please follow these steps:
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- In the subject line of your email, indicate whether you wish to arrange an in-person or online meeting, your year and name. For example:
- Request for in-person meeting: Y3 Jane Smith
- Request for online meeting: Y3 Jane Smith
- In your email, please include what time and day you would like to meet, how long you would like to meet for and who you would like to speak to (if you have a preference).
- We will be in touch to confirm your meeting if this time and date is available. If it is not, we will offer an alternative. Please note that meetings are subject to availability and office hours.
Our on-campus availability for in-person meetings is as follows:
- Kat Kiernan (UG) – Monday and Wednesday in JCMB, King’s Buildings – Tuesday in Appleton Tower, Central
- Kathleen Lloyd (UG) – Tuesday and Friday (JCMB, King’s Buildings only)
- Maria Tovar Gallardo (PGT) – Thursday (JCMB, King’s Buildings only)
Our hours are 9am – 5pm (GMT/BST), Monday to Friday. We are unable to arrange meetings outside of these times.
Where possible, we encourage you to arrange your in-person meeting on a day where you will be on campus for teaching activities.
Attending an online meeting
If you are attending an online meeting outside of the UK, please double check what time the meeting will occur in your time zone. We will arrange meetings using the UK time zone (GMT/BST).
In most cases, the online meetings will occur on Teams. Please ensure that you are logged into your University of Edinburgh account when using Teams for meetings.
If you are not able to access Teams, please let us know when arranging the meeting.
Attending an in-person meeting
Please remember to follow the Scottish Government’s, the University of Edinburgh’s and the School of Mathematics’ guidance to ensure all Health and
Safety measures are complied with and that you keep yourself and others safe. You can find copies of this guidance here:
The School of Mathematics has made every effort to ensure that both students and staff are safe during this time. As such, when attending an in-person it is very important that you read and follow the signs that are stationed around the office space and building.
Safety measures in place:
- Please do not arrive too far ahead of your meeting slot to avoid queuing. When you arrive for your meeting, knock on the door of the Meeting Room and wait for us to respond. We will open the door to allow you into the room.
- Personal protective equipment will be setup in the meeting room, including hand sanitiser. Door handles and occupied areas will be sanitised between
- Meeting Room 6314, in JCMB, will also contain a table that is long enough to ensure the requirement for 2 metre social distancing.
- Chairs will be placed at either end of the table with a clear protective screen setup in the centre of the table between us and yourself for further protection.
In the event of an emergency: in office hours
If an emergency arises and you are unable to wait for a booked meeting,
- If you are in JCMB, please knock on the office door (Room 6315) and wait for us to respond. We will direct you accordingly.
- If online, please message us on Teams or via our email (email@example.com) and indicate that you require urgent assistance.
These contact methods are for emergencies only. An emergency is an issue that has arisen that must be dealt with immediately.
In the event of an emergency: out of office hours
Students who experience a crisis outside of normal working hours can contact the University for support through the University Security 24/7 contact number: 0131 650 2257.
For more information about other out-of-hours services, you can visit the out-of-hours student support webpage ( https://www.ed.ac.uk/contacts/out-of-hours-support )