School of Mathematics Teaching

Frequently asked questions

Frequently asked questions about vacation projects.

Do I need to be in Edinburgh to do a vacation project?

No. Due to the current situation with the ongoing pandemic, the supervision for the vacation scholarships may take place remotely in 2022. Meetings with supervisors will take place during normal UK working hours.

When should the project take place?

The student is expected to work on the project for six weeks  during the months of June, July and August. The precise timing of the project should be agreed between the student and the supervisor, and the weeks need not be consecutive. Please see the About vacation scholarships page for details on events that you might want to take into account when planning your project.

What criteria are used in the competitive awarding of scholarships and bursaries?

These vary from award to award but may include the academic background of the student, how innovative or original the project is, and the degree to which the project is of the student’s own devising. Some awards have very specific criteria and students should consult carefully the award websites. Please have a look at the list of funding sources for more details.

What should my grades look like?

Typically a student will have all A’s in their mathematics courses and also (with perhaps some small deviations) their outside courses. The vast majority of students being awarded vacation scholarships are on track to obtain a first class degree, or possibly a strong second class upper division degree.

How should I go about finding a supervisor?

A good starting point is to think about which courses you have enjoyed so far. You can contact the lecturers of those courses, or you can look at follow-up courses on Path and contact the lecturers of those. You can also have a look at the School research pages to see an overview of the different research areas represented in the School, and staff members active in those areas. The vacation scholarship organiser might also be able to help students  find a suitable supervisor.

What year of study should I be in?

You should not be in the first or final year of your degree. The majority of funding is available to students in Year 3, some funding is also available to Year 2 students or Year 4 students on a five year degree (such as the MMath). Please have a look at the list of funding sources for detailed eligibility requirements.

I am graduating in July but would like to do a project, ideally finishing before graduation, am I still eligible?

No. The only exception are the LMS bursaries, for which final year students may apply if they are intending to do a taught master's degree after they graduate.

I am a first-year student wishing to do a project, am I eligible?


I was awarded a vacation scholarship in previous years, am I eligible?

Yes. However, priority will be given to funding students who are applying for their first scholarship, and a maximum of two scholarships a year will be awarded to students who have held a scholarship in previous years.

I am a student in the School of Maths, but would like to do a project with a supervisor from another school, am I eligible?

You will not be able to apply for funding from the School of Maths, but other funding sources, such as the ones administered by the College of Science and Engineering and external sources, are available to you.

I am a student based in another school, but would like to do a project with a supervisor from the School of Maths, am I eligible?

If you are based in another school (i.e. your personal tutor is not from the School of Maths), then you are eligible to apply for funding from the School of Maths only if you are on a joint degree with Maths (i.e. Computer Science and Maths, Economics and Maths, Philospohy and Maths, Mathematical Physics). If you are based in a school  in the College of Science and Engineering, you can apply for funding from the College. For other funding sources, please see the list of funding sources for more details.

Question not answered?

Please contact the vacation scholarship organiser to discuss. When you email, please put "Summer vacation scholarships" in the subject.