MathPALs hold informal, fun study groups for first-year Mathematics students, particularly for the course Introduction to Linear Algebra. You can also become a MathPALs leader.
By participating in MathPALs, you can meet other students in your year group as well as higher-year students who have been where you are now. MathPALs is an informal, friendly environment where you can ask questions about the courses.
Any student who is taking a first-year maths course.
Times and Location
MathPALs sessions are held weekly in the MathsBase, Room 2.01 in Appleton Tower. Usually, there are many sessions to choose from so you should find one that suits your timetable. Session times are published in Week 1 or 2 of the semester.
If you are eligible, you should see MathPALs under My Courses in Learn at the start of the semester. Click through and follow the link to choose your group. If you think you are eligible but cannot see MathPALs in Learn, please email:
MathPALs recruits new student leaders in April for the following academic year.
Reasons to become a MathPALS leader
Meet and help lower-year students.
- Receive full training in key skills such as facilitation and group management.
- Boost your CV.
- Personal development opportunities.
- Opportunity to work towards the Edinburgh Award.
- Improve your confidence, communication, and leadership skills.
- Be in Years 2-5 of a Mathematics degree programme.
- Commit two and a half hours a week during the semester. This will consist of a 50-minute PALs session, preparation, and team meetings.
- Be friendly and supportive.
- Be willing to act as a facilitator to support learning (not as a teacher or tutor).
How to apply
There are two options to apply. Either:
1. Attend the information session and complete the online application form (before or after attending); or
2. If unable to attend the information session, complete the online application form and you will be invited for a follow-up interview (your preference of phone or in-person).
The deadline for 2019/20 is Sunday 21st April 2019 at midnight.
Leaders (usually continuing, but new leaders will also sometimes be considered) can apply for a position on the MathPALS committee. This offers an opportunity to contribute to MathPALS at a more strategic level. The links below are password protected and on SharePoint.
If you would like to talk about MathPALs see Pamela Docherty, JCMB 6314.